Website Under Construction. Sign in for Zoom Link

STORE

DONATE

Reply To: Provisional Mapping of Bioregions for Community Development

• Paul

Steward
    January 8, 2024 at 9:32 pm

Here’s the latest version of the map…. I think I am done for now until I get my GIS back up and running…. but here is a stop gap. You can lump and split as you please, but this is a stab at thinking about clusters of places. Working on an essay about bioregional places.

An example of this reframing… the Portland is the central feature of the Willamette confluence which is in the lower Columbia. At Portland, the Willamette is tidally influenced, and expresses the oceanic pulsing of the Columbia River. Portland as a city is just a dead patch of industrial land, that cannot possibly produce enough food to support it populations. Portland is also just a legal artifice, with the sprawling Beaverton, Hillsdale, Gresham, Vancouver, etc… a industrialized landscape at the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers only defined by arbitrary jurisdictional boundaries.

However, Portland is legible to modern industrial humans, who think that Portland is better than Gresham because it has more “culture” and so it is also a hotspot of people who say they want to think bioregionally. But to make the thing called Portland into a viable bioregion requires some careful consideration of the surrounding farmland, rapidly shrinking. The valleys of the Sandy, Clackamas, Tualatin all converge. My ancestors were Italian war refugees that fed Portland it vegetables grown on Columbia River Silt.

It is quite a bit upstream before you are in what I would call the Willamette Valley… near Salem, Albany, Corvallis…. where the Santiam enters, and farther still to the Upper Valley where the forks converge around Eugene.